Speaking Task- 21-12-2020

 

Describe an unpopular opinion you hold or have.

You should say:

  • what it is
  • for how long you have this opinion in your mind
  • whether you have ever shared it to someone

and explain why you think this is an unpopular opinion.


Well, that's an intriguing topic and I am delighted that I have been given a chance to talk about something I feel deeply but can't discuss very often.

The obvious and yet very unpopular opinion I want to talk about is how our police and special security forces have been given an autocratic power to get away with their misconducts and oftentimes serious crimes. I am not talking about one or two corrupt cops and their discrete horrendous acts, but about the whole system that helps them get away with it.

Police and special forces are meant to protect ordinary people and their property and lives and maintain peace and harmony in our society by acting lawfully. They are also a part of society and they should be made responsible for any crime they commit. But, the legislative system and the existing policies make it really tough to hold them responsible and discriminate when it comes to ensuring justice. Police, in our country and many other countries, go unpunished for their crimes but ordinary citizens are convicted swiftly for the same crime. It's like a single country with dual policy and that's something I believe is totally unfair and unjust.

I have been holding this unpopular opinion for more than ten years. The first time a corrupt cop killed an innocent boy in our neighbourhood over a false charge of extortion and got away with it, I started to believe that something is wrong in our system. Despite the media attention and demonstration from ordinary citizens, the same policeman is now working in a different department with the police and seems like have been promoted for his crime!

I have shared my opinion with a few of my friends and their opinions are mostly against these discriminatory policies and system. My uncle is a retired policeman and when I discussed it with him, to my surprise, his opinion accords with mine.

This is an unpopular opinion because people don't want to talk about it, let alone do something to break the corrupt system. They either believe that they can't do anything about it or feel that police personnel are above the law and should be granted special privileges. Their opinion is often biased because they consider it a political issue rather than a social or human right issue.

0 comments

SANATAN DHARM Books

Vedas ऋगवेद यजुर्वेद सामवेद अथर्ववेद Purans Agni Mahapur...